It is Saturday, March 10th 2012 and 13 years ago today, I woke up to a very different life. Shockingly, I didn't drink coffee or wine. I was organized and disciplined. I was ideological and judgmental. I had never heard of Osama Bin Laden, iPhones or autism. If someone had told me what 2012 would be like, I would have laughed and said, "you left out the flying cars!"
March 10th, 1999 Kitzingen, Germany
Jackson was born at 4:30pm and after deciding at the last minute to change his name from Caleb Robert to Jackson Paul, we took home a perfectly healthy and wonderful baby boy along with all of our hopes and dreams for him.
If you had asked me what I thought Jackson would be like on his 13th birthday, I would have laughed and said: big, loud, messy and smelly with an attitude. I knew very little about 13 yr old boys and frankly could not imagine my sweet little baby boy as a teenager.
March 10th, 2012 Falls Church, Virginia
I woke up at the crack of dawn because I heard Jackson roaming around downstairs and didn't want him to wake up Paul who has been so tired lately and needs his sleep. As I come out of my room, J strolls up to me, gives me the most genuine hug, kisses me on the cheek and says, "Good morning mom, I love you. Come this way", as he leads me downstairs to the coffee maker where he knows I gravitate this early in the morning. He flops down on the couch, pulls the blanket up under his chin and watches the news while I wake myself up with some strong coffee and check my email.
As I am sitting here, I realize that autism has not taken anything from him, it has rearranged some things, but underneath all the challenges, lies a big, loud, messy and smelly boy with an attitude...just as I envisioned all those years ago...I just got a different attitude than I expected:)
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/hometeachautism
Like me new Facebook Page: Homeschooling Autism

EmoticonEmoticon